If you are experiencing incontinence or problems with your pelvic floor the following foods, can irritate your urinary tract and should be avoided:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cranberry juice and or cranberries
- Lemon juice
- Carbonated drinks, esp. colas
- Chili/spicy foods, esp. HOT foods
- Acidic Foods
- Artificial sweeteners
Vitamins that you may take:
- Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate co-buffered with calcium carbonate)
- Vitamin E (take in powder form vs. the oil capsules)
- Vitamin B6 is the only Vitamin B you should take.
Substitutions that you can make in your diet:
- Coffee that has the acid removed. KAVA and ROMBAUTS are two brands found in grocery stores.
- Herbal teas, which do not have large amounts of citrus. Weak non-herbal teas, dunk the tea bag in water 4-5 times quickly, and then drink.
- Ovaltine instead of chocolate drinks.
- Fruit juices: apricot nectar, pear nectar, and papaya juice.
- Late harvest dessert wines (they have low acid content)
- Fructose to sweeten vs. other artificial sweeteners.
- Carob instead of chocolate in recipes.
- Orange and or lime peel scrapings for flavor- but be sure not to use the white part of the rind.